2021 Daily Devotion - Day 306

Throughout my life, I have witnessed many expressions of faith and religion. I have worshiped on occasion in a variety of churches. From Presbyterian to Assemblies of God, I have seen their services. When I was in middle school, I attended the bar mitzvah of some of my friends at their Jewish synagogue. I have seen people healed of brain tumors and other challenging illnesses. I have seen people “slain in the spirit” which is when they pass out and fall backwards to the floor. I have heard people speak in tongues and watched others prophesy. I was brought up a Lutheran and, am now an ordained Lutheran pastor of many years. Torild and I have traveled to many places in the world, learning more about issues of faith.

The reason I bring all this up is because over the last several years, I have been thinking about the deepest spiritual experiences someone can have. Is it speaking in tongues? Is it meditative prayer? After faith in Jesus Christ as Savior, I believe the deepest experience is learning to “die to self”. This is so difficult to do, because in our broken nature, we are prone to want to live for ourselves. Think of all the phrases we have in our culture: “to thine own self be true” or “charity begins at home”.

This concept of dying to ourselves is very comprehensive. We resist God being in charge of our lives because we want to be, and when we “die to self” we are allowing Him to take control. We want power and control. Many want to be the center of attention. Others want to dominate the lives of others. Some want to amass a fortune so they can live in extreme wealth. When we die to self, we are resisting these tendencies and coming into one of the most rewarding spiritual experiences. Dying to ourselves means the needs of others become our concern. So, we might work to help feed hungry people or become involved in helping the homeless. The challenges of people struggling with mental health issues might become our concern. On and on the list goes. Dying to self means we want to make sure others are okay and getting the help they need. We add the needs of others to the list of our concerns and try to take actions to help.

Matthew 16:24 ESV
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”

Pray with me:
Heavenly Father, there is an entire world filled with pain, and most people don’t care. So many only care for themselves, and if they are alright, then nothing else matters. This is such a shallow way to live. Set us free from this kind of selfish existence. Help us to die to ourselves and take up our cross and follow Jesus on the road of serving others. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Yours because of Him,
Pastor John R. Steward
Senior Pastor
Mount of Olives Church

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Daily Devotion - Day 268

2021 Daily Devotion - Day 340

2021 Daily Devotion - Day 458