2020 Daily Devotion - Day 131

When George Washington was about 20 years old, he wrote this in his prayer journal:

“O most Glorious God, in Jesus Christ my merciful and loving father, I acknowledge and confess my guilt, in the weak and imperfect performance of the duties of this day. I have called on thee for pardon and forgiveness of sins, but so coldly and carelessly, that my prayers are become my sin and stand in need of pardon. I have heard thy holy word, but with such deadness of spirit that I have been an unprofitable and forgetful hearer, so that, O Lord, tho’ I have done thy work, yet it hath been so negligently that I may rather expect a curse than a blessing from thee."

[George Washington’s Prayer Journal from William J. Johnson George Washington, the Christian (New York: The Abingdon Press, New York & Cincinnati, 1919), pp. 24-35. From a sermon by David Scudder, Prayer is Seeking Our Father, 9/11/2011]

George Washington was a great leader – the general who won the victory over the British in the War of Independence and the first president of the United States.   Scholars have called him “the indispensable man”. Perhaps it was Washington’s humility which made him such a great leader. Humility is one of the greatest challenges for all of us. However, it is one of the keys to growing spiritually and in other ways as well.

Proverbs 29:23 ESV
One's pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor.
 
Pray with me:
Heavenly Father, we are inspired by the humility of George Washington. It is one of the many reasons You were able to use him in such significant ways. Help us to develop the same outlook and response to life. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 
Yours because of Him,
Pastor John R. Steward
Senior Pastor
Mount of Olives Church

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Daily Devotion - Day 268

2021 Daily Devotion - Day 340

2021 Daily Devotion - Day 458